With over one billion active users monthly, Instagram is definitely one of the fastest growing social media platforms. Now, to make the most of what Instagram has to offer, what you need is an interesting profile on the app along with good Instagram bios. It will not be an overstatement to say that the bio is the heart of an Instagram profile. It’s something that gives the visitors that first glimpse of who you are and what you have to offer: whether you are fun and peppy, serious and thoughtful, or a traveler with an insatiable wanderlust. An Instagram bio of 150 characters is where you get to introduce and express yourself and show the new visitors the reasons to follow you.
✨ Get Inspired. ✨
Our system detects most impactful bio headline examples from real people. Check this article if you’re looking to learn more about applying the best headlines for your profile.
| 1. The components making your Instagram profile perfect |
1.5 Contact information
1.6 Verification Badge
1.7 Call to action
1.8 Profile Picture
|2. Why do you need a superb Instagram Bio?|
|3. What are the things that make an interesting Instagram bio?|
|4. Ideas for Instagram Bio |
4.1. Funny and Creative Bios
4.1.1 Funny Instagram Bios
4.1.2 Creative Bios
4.1.3 Cute Bios
4.2. Using Customized Fonts
4.2.1 Instagram Fonts
4.3. Adding Special Characters
4.4. Adding an Instagram Profile Picture
|5. Using Quotes for Instagram bio|
|6. Few Words About Business Instagram Bio|
1. The components making your Instagram profile perfect
Though the bio is one of the main components of your Insta presence, there are several other things that you need to consider as well. So, before you start considering what makes good Instagram bios, you need to take a look at the following components of the profile.
When it comes to introducing yourself, the first thing that people notice is your name. If you have a business page on Instagram, then the name would obviously be your actual brand name, but that is not a compulsion.
The username and name fields are the only things about your profile that come up on the Instagram searches. It means that even abbreviations or variations of a name can also be used as the name. If you think that people are more likely to search using an abbreviation of your name, you can easily put that up as your name on Instagram. The name can be 30 characters long.
The username forms your identity on Instagram. It is that @username that you get, and it is also a part of the URL for your profile, for e.g., instagram.com/username. If you want to make it easy for people to find you, make sure you use the same username for all social media platforms.
The website is the only place for you to post any clickable link. The best thing is that you can change the URL as many times as you want. You can link any of your latest blog posts or videos on YouTube on this space.
You can choose the business category if you have opened a business profile on the app. It comes right under the name, and people instantly get an idea about what you do. In fact, using the category is also helpful because then you do not need to explain it once more in the bio section. However, the bio comes up only in the mobile view of the app.
You can include the contact button if you want to let people contact you or reach your business. The contact information comes up below the bio and does not use up the character count for the bio. So, this is another good way of freeing up space for including other information in the bio.
That little blue checkmark is really important because it lets the visitors know that they are at your official account. You can request for a verification badge from the settings option of your profile.
The call to action button on your Instagram bio is all about encouraging people to take action right from your bio. You can ask the users to take actions like buying tickets for that event you have organized or a new eatery that you have just opened.
The Instagram profile picture is something that people can see even if you set your profile to private. It offers a glimpse of who you are or what your brand is, and thus, it is important to select only the best picture to set up as your Instagram profile picture.
Finally, here comes the Instagram bio! Instagram lets you use only 150 characters to showcase your awesomeness and creativity. It needs to convey the unique personality of you or your brand, and show the audience that they are in the right place.
So, why exactly do you need a great bio for your profile? Let’s read on to find out.
2. Why do you need a superb Instagram Bio?
The Insta bio shows the visitors to your profile who you are, what you have to offer, and why they need to care. It is worth investing time to get it right from the very first time.
The bio is also the first line of contact for anyone who has discovered your profile by clicking a hashtag. So, it should give the visitor a reason to follow you, and that gives you a reason to put your best foot forward.
A great Insta bio highlights the personality of a brand, or even a person, and makes the visitors take action: either by clicking on your website link, just following your Instagram account or by visiting your online shop, whichever applies to you.
3. What are the things that make an interesting Instagram bio?
Making an interesting Instagram bio involves a lot of things and multiple considerations. Let us highlight a few things to help you out with that.
1. It should convey your personality
Think of the bio like an introduction to all the new followers. A boring and basic bio will not make people hit that follow button, even with all the great photos that you come up with. The simple thing to understand here is the fact that photos are simply showing the visitors what you do and not who you are. The latter is what your bio is supposed to do.
So, let the bio convey your personality effectively. Are you an adventure junkie? What are your special skills? What makes you stand out?
If you are a local business, the bio should showcase your brand’s image. Is the product made ethically? What promise does your brand hold? Who is your target audience?
2. It can include hashtags
Putting hashtags on Instagram bio is an amazing way to get linked to tagged content. Brands frequently used branded hashtags for promoting and collecting user-generated content.
However, there is one thing that you need to keep in mind. The hashtags on the bio are clickable, but these do not come up in the search results for hashtags. Do not go ahead using hashtags that are in no way related to you or your brand because that will only take the followers away from your profile.
It can include funny and cute emojis
The great thing about emojis is that they convey a lot in just one character, allowing you to offer more key details in that small space.
The emojis are also great for offering a break from the monotony of only watching texts across all of those 150 characters. You can make it cute, funny, and interesting using just a few emojis. Here’s a brief idea of the usual emojis used in the bios.
- Ghost – To be put before the snapchat handle you mention
- Pinned location: To be used before your address or physical location
- Envelope – To be put before your email ID
- Downward pointed finger: To be put in the last line of the bio to point towards any clickable URL.
- Flags – Mostly used by brands to showcase their presence in those countries.
It should have line breaks and spacing
People do not want to see a lot of information on your bio. They are more likely to read your entire bio if you provide small, bite-sized bits of information. One way of doing that is by using line breaks.
Do not write your bio in a boring paragraph format. Instead, use emojis to opt for something that looks like a bulleted format. It is easy to set up a bio like that using the web interface of the app. But for the mobile interface, the best thing you can do is write it on a notes app, and then, paste it in the field allotted for the bio.
It should have a convincing call to action
All great marketing material needs to have a compelling and clear call to action, and the Instagram bio is no exception to this rule. Give the visitors a clear direction as to what you want them to do now they have found your profile.
In that regards, something like “Let’s travel the world together. One picture at a time.” is something that works as well for a traveler, as something else like, “Try your hands at our handcrafted jewelry” works for a local business.
The call to action needs to be simple, to the point, and direct, with no fuss or cryptic message associated with it. It should also align with any clickable link that you include in your profile.
4. Ideas for Instagram Bio
Now let’s come to a few ideas you can consider while writing a bio for your Instagram account. Bios are an ideal way to attract people to your account. Imagine if someone came to you saying “Hi” or stuck out their hand to shake, but you gave them a blank stare. Wouldn’t this be awkward? The same way when you keep your Instagram bio blank, it will not help you gain any followers. Mentioned below are a few ideas that might help you:
- Idea 1: Who does not want a great follower list? But, sometimes you don’t want any random person following you, that is why make sure you write a bio that attracts your ideal crowd. You can consider things like your beliefs, goals, and demographics to come to a conclusion.
- Idea 2: The second most important thing is to mention your real name so that when people search for your name, your account should pop up. You can add things that will help your audience know more about you, say, if you are obsessed with food and clicking pictures of food then add it in your bio. These are the details that help you stand out and make you unique.
- Idea 3: Add details that will give your followers a basic idea of what they can expect from your account. How is your content going to help them? They should know what is in for them once they decide to follow you. Consider using keywords, not for SEO purpose but for your audience to categorize your account.
- Idea 4: If you have a website of your own then don’t forget to add a link to it in your bio. Instagram in its recent update started allowing people to add multiple clickable links in their bio. You just have to insert a “#” or “@” to make the link clickable. This can be used as an excellent tool for marketing your brand if any.
- Idea 5: This one is a recent member added to Instagram’s family, known as Highlight. It can be pretty challenging to add everything about you in just 150 characters, and that is why you should consider using the Highlight Reel. Here you can save your best Insta stories and keep them as your Highlight which will be displayed just beneath your bio. Ask yourself a simple question “What do you want your audience to know about you?” and then just add those things.
- Idea 6: Ask your followers to check out the other things you do, for example, if you make YouTube videos then add a link to it along with “Go check out my videos.” This will increase engagement activity with your followers.
4.1. Funny and Creative Bios
I cannot help you with exactly how your Instagram bio should be because it varies from person to person and your personal sense of theme and style. But, what I can do is help you with a few quotes that might go with your Instagram feed. These one-liners will not only intrigue your followers but also make them laugh and in turn amp up your bio. So if you are still not sure as to what to use then here a few examples to get you started:
- Here to serve….the dog overload.
- Have loads of hair and like ugly things.
- Recovering fries addict.
- If you cannot convince them, make sure you confuse them.
- I’m not smart. It’s just my glasses.
- I’m having an allergic reaction to the world.
- I am the reason there is hot in “psychotic.”
- Currently trying to uplift small talk to big talk.
- It is tough to be great; losers tend to prove this point continuously.
- Save water, just drink liquor.
- A lie was a great story which got ruined by the truth.
- This will be my last Instagram bio ever, promise.
- I’m so poor that I cannot pay attention in lectures.
- Not all men are fools; some are single too.
- My hobbies include breakfasting, lunching, and dining.
- I was born to express and not to impress.
- I always learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.
- Think I was born at a very early age.
- The best of me has still not come.
- One of those paper-cut survivors.
- Just keep breathing.
- Here to make history.
- I kind of prefer my puns when they are intended.
- I’m jealous of my parents because I will never have a child as cool as theirs.
- God bless this cold mess!
- Where the hell am I? How did I land here?
- Hi, my hobbies keep on moving from breakfast, lunch to dinner.
- A caffeine dependent life.
- Always trying to be a rainbow at the end of a rainstorm.
- “Perfect” has 7 letters, and so does meeeeee.
- A Good Samaritan, terrible athlete, but incredibly blessed in the napping sector.
- I have to be witty because being hot is not an option for me right now.
- Is there any way you believe in love at first sight, or shall I pass by again?
- I did not fail; my success has just been postponed.
- Isn’t it funny how sometimes you just find people on Instagram?
- Do it with passion or don’t. No passion, No success.
- In a relationship? Naah! I am in a foodship.
- Fabulous ends at “us.” Is that a coincidence? I don’t think so.
- Trying to be a rainbow in somebody’s cloud.
- Press that follow button if you are interested in knowing my story.
- Why don’t you turn that blue button to white?
- I am on a journey of life. Want to join? Make sure you press the follow button then.
- Too busy to be sad.
- Every day brings an opportunity to do something legendary.
4.2. Using Customized Fonts
If you really focus on making your Instagram bio creative, then you can consider using custom fonts. They help in building a unique visual brand. Now, if you notice, Instagram only allows you to use a single font in your bio. It has five different options when it comes to stories but only one option for bio. While scrolling through your feed, you might have noticed that people use different font styles while writing comments or captions. This might make you wonder if you have missed a button or something, but it’s not that. We have a solution to this problem; you can take help of third-party resources that create custom fonts for you. These are known as font generators.
The Instagram font is an excellent tool for generating fonts which you can easily copy and paste to your bio. They have a large number of unique Unicode characters which can create a bunch of font styles. All you need to do is type in the text and choose a font of your choice from the available option. You will find that some fonts even have added features like emoji and symbols. Copy the text, open your Instagram account, go to “edit profile” and paste your new text over there. That’s it!
Lingojam is another cool Instagram font generator tool that you can use to customize fonts for Instagram. The most significant benefit of using this app is that it will test beforehand if a particular font is compatible with Instagram or no. So you do not have to the guesswork. If you have a text in mind, type it in the text box and go through the different list of font options you get. Once you have selected a font, you want to go forward with, copy the text and paste it on your bio.
Using customized fonts can be a powerful tool when you want to build a strong and noticeable visual style on your bio. It sets your bio apart from the usual dull Instagram bios. But make sure you do not overuse symbols and exotic font styles, your followers will have a hard time understanding it. Try and limit their uses only to areas where you want to put more emphasize.
4.3. Adding Special Characters
You might be wondering how some accounts have cool special characters in their bio including sun, stars, universe, etc.? These are nothing but the emojis you can find on Google docs or Word.
When using Microsoft Word:
- Open a new word file
- Now type your text and the place where you want to add the special character, click on “Insert” followed by “Advanced Symbol.”
- Scroll through the symbols from Wingdings, Wingdings2, and Wingdings3. They have a wide range of symbols.
- When you have made a choice, add them where you would want it in your text.
- Copy this and paste it in your Instagram bio.
When using Google Docs:
- Open a new Google document
- Go to “insert” and click on “special characters.”
- Browse through the list. You can even search by using keywords or draw a shape which is similar to the character you are looking for.
- Copy the character and paste it where you want to in your bio.
4.4. Adding an Instagram Profile Picture
I know most of us think that adding a profile picture is not a necessity, but if you want to gain traction and attract followers to your page, then it is essential. What are the things you can keep in mind?
- Put a profile picture that displays your face or your brand’s logo. People tend to connect more when they see a face as the profile picture, even more than the brand’s logo.
- Keep the background color subtle and flattering. A neutral background will work best. A subtle background will not take away the attention from your face.
- You can experiment with different angles and take some great headshots. Make sure you crop the picture from your head to a little bit of shoulder so that people can see your face clearly.
How can you change your Instagram profile picture?
- Click the icon on the right bottom of your screen which will take you to your profile.
- Go to “edit profile” and then click on “change photo.”
- You will get the following options- “New profile photo,” “Import from Facebook,” “import from Twitter” and “Remove profile picture.” If you are adding a picture from your gallery, then choose “new profile photo.”
- Now select a picture, crop it if you want to or just click “next.”
- You can edit or add filters to customize your profile picture, once you are done tap on “next.” That’s it! Your profile picture is now active.
5. Using Quotes for Instagram bio
You already know the relevance of using quotes in your bio; they can be a great way of expressing an idea or creating a connection with people who have the same taste and preferences. It is not necessary for you to use quotes that are recognized by a real person. You could use a few lines from your favorite poem, book or song or any phrase that can build a connection with people. Remember that when you are using someone else’s words, give them credit for it.
- Happiness depends upon ourselves- Aristotle
- It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxim- Aristotle
- One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy- Aristotle
- A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval- Mark Twain
- Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society- Mark Twain
- I want freedom for the full expression of my personality- Mahatma Gandhi
- Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it- Mahatma Gandhi
- Action is eloquence- William Shakespeare.
6. Few Words About Business Instagram Bio
Often businesses are in a dilemma if their bio should be short or long, if there should be emojis or not and things like that. It all comes down to what you want from yourself and the goals and vision of your business. So if you have not done this already, then try and put your idea into words. Do not write too long sentences; break it up into smaller ones. They are easier to perceive. Adding emojis will make your brand look more expressive. Using appropriate emojis that go with your bio can make people like your account more.
Everything you do should have a marketing motive behind it, do not forget this. So make use of branded hashtags in your bio to give your audience the chance to understand your brand better. Also, make sure you add clickable links to your bio using an arrow or pointing emoji.
The best bios are the ones that help in elevating your account to new levels of popularity. Whether it is all about growing your followers or growing your business, let your bio do the talking on your behalf. So, which of these bio ideas are you going to use for your Insta profile? Do you have any more ideas to make it interesting? Let us know below!