Much to the dislike of the netizens all over the globe, Instagram does not let you upload videos or photos to the profiles from its desktop site. This move from Instagram aims at promoting the mobile usage of the app and creating better engagement among the users.
However, so many of us film content on a camera, and then, transfer it to the desktop. For us, taking it from the desktop to our phones becomes quite a tedious and time-consuming affair. So, is there no way of posting to Instagram from pc? Actually, there are a couple of ways to do that.
|1. How to make a post on Instagram from PC|
|2. How to send photos and videos on Instagram using a browser|
2.1 Google Chrome
| 3. Publishing post on Instagram through third-party tools |
#1 How to make a post on Instagram from PC
So, why would you at all want to add photos to Instagram from pc? Well, most of us, including myself, choose a DSLR camera when clicking images. The process of uploading these DSLR images to Insta is in itself too complex. You have to upload the photos from the desktop to Google Photos or Google Drive, then download those on your phone, and finally, upload those to Instagram. Phew!
Luckily, you can find your way around this issue by using a couple of third-party tools, like:
- Uplet (Mac), and
You can also take help of your computer browser, and use:
- Google Chrome
While there are free and simple ways to upload Instagram photos from pc or Mac, there is a huge limitation to all the methods. Though you will get an interface that is almost similar to the app on mobile, it will have none of those editing tools neither will it let you post multiple videos and photos. I believe that this is just a handy fix if you already have the images on the desktop or USB, and you do not have the energy or time to transfer them to the phone.
Read on to find out how to post to Instagram from pc through both these methods in a few simple steps.
#2 How to send photos and videos on Instagram using a browser: step by step instructions
It might sound a tad bit complicated, but trust me it is one of the easiest ways to post to Instagram from computer. There is no need to access a third-party software or site, and it comes absolutely free of cost. However, being a basic method, it does not work in case of gallery posts or video files.
What you need to do is, make the desktop version of Instagram feel that you are using the mobile version of the site. Then, that ‘upload’ button that you usually do not see in a desktop version will come when you refresh the page. Sounds easy now? Here’s the way to do it.
- Go to the View menu and open the developer tools on the Chrome browser
- After the console opens, click on the icon beside ‘Elements’ for changing the user agent
- You will get a drop down menu from where you will have to select your mobile model from the given list of devices
- And finally, the view of the browser gets changed to mobile screen and the upload button comes up. If you do not get this change right away, simply refresh the page, and then, you will get it.
- Go to the upload option, and select the image from the files on your computer. Edit the photo as you normally do, put in the captions and the location, and click on share. Note: You cannot tag other accounts or share the post on other social media platforms.
There is another much similar method that answers your query of how to post on Instagram from desktop using Google Chrome.
- Open your Instagram account from the desktop and log in. Right click anywhere in that browser window and select the option ‘Inspect’ that comes right at the bottom of the menu. You can also go for Ctrl+shift+I on the keyboard. You will get Chrome’s code inspector tool.
- You screen gets split through this, and, you get your Instagram account on the left and the code base given on the right. Do not get all intimidated by all that code. You do not need to pay attention to that.
- A little icon at the top half of the inspector window looks like a phone and a tablet. Clicking on this icon will change the left side of your screen.
- From the window that appears, click on the ‘Responsive’ option to get the list of mobile devices to choose from.
- Now after this step, I can only see 90% of the site on my screen. However, I get a ‘Find to Window’ option. Selecting that option every time shifts the screen a bit but I don’t mind that because otherwise I’ll not be able to see the entire app screen. There is no way for me to scroll down from the ‘Inspect’ window.
- The final step is done and now you can use the + button to upload images as you usually do.
For changing the user agent to post to Instagram from pc on Safari, you need to enable the ‘Develop’ menu by the following steps.
Safari >> Preferences >> Advanced
This is the first step of how to post to Instagram from pc using Safari, and this lets you enable the option of ‘Show Develop menu in menu bar.’ Follow the given steps after this:
- After the Develop menu is added to the Safari navigation bar, move over the User Agent drop down option and choose the iPhone option.
- You will get the upload button at the bottom of your browser.
- Click on upload and that will take you to the files on your PC.
- Select the image, add filters, write a caption, and click on share to post it.
Uploading an image from Firefox is as easy as doing it through Chrome or Safari and let the following steps give you an idea on how to post on Instagram from computer.
- You need to download the add-on known as ‘User Agent Overrider.’
- Go to the Firefox menu >> add-ons (or use ctrl+shift+A).
- Scroll down from the add-ons window and you will get more add-ons.
- Click on ‘User Agent Overrider’
- Go to add to Firefox and install.
- Then, open Instagram in a tab and click on the User Agent Overrider option
- Select from the given list of preferences (Linux/Firefox 53)
- Press F5 to refresh the page
- After you log in, click on the camera icon for uploading your images.
3. Publishing post on Instagram through third-party tools
Earlier, it was not possible to post to Instagram from PC, but the app has now finally released a new update which almost all of us were waiting for. This update is the most beneficial for bloggers, influencers and social media managers as they can now upload pictures on Instagram even from their laptops and desktops.
These third-party tool update according to me is the best thing because now people can edit and post pictures from the same device, unlike the traditional method of first editing pictures on pc and then transferring it to their mobile device for uploading. Not only in the case of images but even while uploading videos laptop is always a more comfortable medium. However, currently you cannot upload pictures on Instagram directly through the app but never mind; you can still download the following tools on your pc and do the job:
If you are wondering “how to post on Instagram from mac?”, then worry no more because Flume is the app for you. Since the beginning, people have only been using mobile phones for Instagram, and the website was never an option. But, using flume, you can do a handful of tasks even through your Mac. Flume is a native app for Mac that allows you to do more than just scrolling and liking pictures on Instagram. Read the steps mentioned below to know how to upload images using Flume:
- First thing first, you will have to download the Flume app. You can do it through Setapp, install it and then run the app.
- The next step is to log in to your Instagram account through the flume, and when you see your feed on it; you are all ready to post.
- You will find appropriate icons related to your feed and direct messages on the bottom, including the camera icon.
- What you have to do is, click on the camera icon. It will give you two options, just like in the mobile app, either take a live picture or video and post it or upload one from the computer.
- Press ⌘-N or choose from File->New->Post and drag the image you want to upload from the library.
- You even get the option to edit pictures, so if you want to you can click on the brush tool and add filters or color correct the picture.
- In the next step, you will see a text box where you can write a caption for the post and then finally upload the picture.
How to upload video to Instagram from pc?
It is no different than uploading a picture, all you need to do is find the video you want to post, drag it to the window that opens when you open the camera icon on Flume and voila, there you go. Uploading videos and pictures from the desktop will save you from the task of transferring everything to your phone. Large videos can take some time, so be patient and give Flume the time to process.
I am sure most you have this question “can we post to Instagram from a computer?” Bluestack is an Android emulator for your computer that does the job perfectly. An emulator is software that allows one system (the host) to work or behave like another (the guest). Bluestacks is a smaller version of the official Instagram Android app and has similar features as the mobile app. It does not have any additional features, like managing multiple accounts at the same time or uploading images in bulk. Keep on reading to know how it works:
- Once you have downloaded the app, you need to sign into your Google account and connect it with this app. If you do not have an account, then sign up and create a new one.
- Then you have to configure bluestack so that it can be used for Instagram. First, open GL and then set 4 CPU cores and the memory to 4096mb or 2040mb if your desktop does not have enough ram. Save these settings and restart the app.
- After this, you can upload videos and images to the Media Manager.
- Once you have uploaded the content here, you will find a search bar on the top right corner of Bluestacks app, search for Instagram there and download it.
- On opening Instagram, you will notice that the interface has changed to the dimensions and view of the mobile app.
- Instagram works the same way on Bluestacks as it does on mobile, so you can upload pictures the same way too, by clicking on the upload icon.
Deskgram is the desktop app for Instagram that allows you to post to Instagram from a computer. You can upload both videos and photos from this app; however, the option to upload videos is still not supported on Windows. You do not have to download any software; you can directly upload pictures from your browser. You need Google Chrome browser and Deskgram extension for Chrome, whereas, in a Mac OS and Ubuntu, you will need Python 2.7 and Messaging API. The app claims to be a hundred percent safe. You just have to follow a few steps for posting pictures, which are:
- After downloading Deskgram, log into your account using the same user id and password.
- Click on the camera icon and select pictures from your library.
- Once you have selected the pictures, click on upload.
Remember that Deskgram does not have the option to upload videos if you are using Windows, Mac users can take advantage of this feature though. It also lacks the editing feature that the android app offers so you would not be able to add Instagram filters while uploading a picture.
Uplet is a Mac app that you will find on the Mac app store. It is the best app for Mac users to upload images and videos to Instagram from pc. The app is really easy to use and does not have too many complicated features; it is quite lightweight and comfortable when uploading pictures. The app does not have advanced editing filters or features, but it still managed to top my list of the best Mac apps for Instagram. The recent update of the app even lets you manage multiple accounts at once. This can be a beneficial feature for those who run their entire business through Instagram and have multiple accounts catering to different needs.
If you want to know how to add photos to Instagram form pc, then follow the steps mentioned below:
- After installing the app on your Mac, run it.
- Once you are done with that, log into your Instagram account. You will find the option to login on the top panel. Use the same username and password and log in.
- Uplet’s drop panel is the main program, and here you can drag pictures from your computer or use the “+” sign to browse through your files and select a single or multiple photos.
- You can even upload videos to Instagram, thanks to the recent update of Uplet.
- After selecting the pictures, you get the option to either crop it as a square or rectangle format. You also get the option to add text and tag people.
- Once you hit on the share button, you will get a notification for the successful upload.
Before you head on to posting pictures, let me tell you that when you choose to upload multiple images, they all are uploaded as individual posts. Uplet does not support Instagram’s new feature of allowing numerous photos in a single post. Also, you do not get the option to schedule your posts, so they are all uploaded at the same time.
Gramblr is another desktop app that allows you to post pictures and videos on Instagram from desktops and pc, available in both Windows and Mac. I know that mobile phones have an option to upload posts, but when you get the same choice on a desktop or laptop, it makes your work easy. Especially, if you are someone who is interested in keeping your profile trendy and like to use presets and editing apps. Gamblr works for free on both, Windows and Mac.
This particular app has two parts; one is the app you install, and the other is a web service. They both work simultaneously in order to get photos and videos from the desktop so that you can post it to Instagram. The app is just a utility app that runs in the background. You have to install it only so that you can open and launch the main Gramblr screen. After doing this, you do not require the app; it will take care of things in the background. The primary interactions take place with the web service.
For the web service:
- You will be required to create an account. After logging in, a screen will open.
- You will find a lot of functions there, but they are pretty straightforward.
- Drag the photos and videos and drop them onto the panel.
- Next, you get the option to crop the image; once you are done with it, you can use the editing features. Remember, that you can only upload only one picture at once.
- If you want to schedule the posts for some time in the future, then you can choose the date and time and click on send. These images or videos will be added to the “upload schedule” list.